Sunday 14 February 2010

No 79: New non-smoking rules

THE US state of Illinois has introduced a law which bans smoking within 15 feet (about 4.5 metres) of any door or window, as reported in this article.

Anti-smoking campaigners are suggesting similar rules for the UK, possibly helping the government with their recently announced aim of cutting the number of smokers by 50% by 2020.

As this graph shows, smoking is already on the decline in the UK:

 
And here is a summary of the Illinois smoking rules:
 
However, I can see foresee some problems, especially in streets that have many doors and windows. I was trying to find an image that might show this, but I couldn't, so I have used my considerable artistic abilities to draw one for you:

(That is supposed to be a cigarette, not a gun.)

You may now say the English idiom to me, "don't give up the day job...."

No comments:

Post a Comment