Tuesday 7 December 2010

No 165: World Clock

HERE is a screenshot of the "World Clock":


As you can see (but not too clearly, trying a different screenshot app....) the clock shows you information about different stats about the whole world: births, deaths, prison growth, car production.

However, to get the real fun out of it, you need to actually watch the clock in live time: click here to get to it.

Right, I'm going to watch the clock for the next 60 seconds and see what happens in the world....

Ok, I'm back. In the world in the last 60 seconds there was:

  • a 147 person growth in world population due to
  • 256 births minus
  • 109 deaths of which
  • 22 were because of cardiovascular problems, 2 from traffic accidents, 1 from poisonings and also
  •  1 illegal immigrant entered the USA
  • 2 couples got divorced in the USA while
  • 88 abortions took place across the world
  • 25 hectares of forest were lost
  • 57,851 barrels of oil were produced and also
  •  69 cars, 208 bicycles and 161 computers.
I'll let you into a secret: the ends of term  are always stressful times for teachers - topics to finish in class, tests to set and mark, reports to write - and in such times is good to be reminded of the incredible restless relentless busy-ness of the crazy planet we live upon, and how our own problems and stress are just an insiginificant molecule in all of it.

Wow, got all of a bit philosophical there, apologies!

6 comments:

  1. why there is no rape rate?
    never knew Americans illegally immigrate that much!
    there is no bicycle theft neither
    does War rate include Gang wars?
    does Death rate include those people who reached nirvana? because basically they don't function in real life. or is a suicide?
    does Abortion rate include extremely late abortions? or is it in Death rate?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comments. While I am sure you mean them to be humourous, and while I wish to keep the tone of this blog informal and encourage free speech, please remember that as a teacher I must always bear in mind that all content needs to be suitable for a school. So I'm not going to remove your comment, but please note it is on the edge of being inappropriate.

    Sorry to get heavy! Mr S

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Mr. Spottiswoode,

    I would like to make a confession. When I read this post I had nothing smart or reasonable to respond to it but the itch of making of a comment bothered me. So I had nothing better to do rather than to make a list of silly jokey questions which I don't find funny any more.
    However, in few minutes with a help of my friend I realised that it was too silly and irresponsible of me. Your respond to it only made me feel even worse for myself and the fact that I just filled your blog with inappropriate rubbish.

    Therefore I would like to apologise for my inappropriate behaviour.

    Thank you for being heavy,
    Khalil

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, don't worry about it!

    It's a drag having to be the responsible teacher all the time too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you are using the blog anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Time hub zone is Pakistan Based Website which can tell us Loan Calculator & world clock with seconds.World clock, time converter If you need Any type of conversions from it Feel Free to website or contact with us 24/7.
    Loan Calculator & world clock with seconds

    ReplyDelete